
So, there was a "25 Random Things About Me" thing going around on facebook awhile ago. I did it, but I opted to do 16. Then everyone else did 25, and I felt gypped. I've since completed my 25 list. Aren't you all lucky?!
1. I'm an only child. I think a lot about that. My cousins are some of the most important people in my life. Close friends mean the world to me. I try to adopt siblings wherever I can, and I want to hold on to them forever! I love getting to know other people's families and have friends know mine. Those sibling/friends are the some of the important people in my life and I want to keep them close!
2. I have a favorite literary element. I'm an English nerd, and I LOVE parallel structure. I see it everywhere. It's beautiful. I underline it in books, talks, everything. It's all over in my patriarchal blessing. Heavenly Father knows how I learn. I love being able to break thoughts, ideas, concepts all into parallels. I also write a lot with them. Once, I considered getting a tattoo of just two parallel lines. Then I figured it'd look too much like a bar code.
3. Again, I'm an English nerd. My bedroom is FULL of bookshelves. I'm always looking for something new to read. But, since I've been out of school (which has been over a year) I've read VERY little. I crave it. I miss it. Why can't I make time for it again? I just can't decide what to read next! I have a list of suggestions but there are a few that I just haven't been in the mood for. That, and I'm kind of rebelling against the whole Twilight craze. I am a self-proclaimed Twilight hater!!
4. I'm obsessed with water. NATURAL water. I think it comes from being named Brooke. Creeks, streams, rivers, lakes ... you name it, I'm there. I'm not much of a swimmer. But I LOVE to climb around in creeks and on the rocks and canoe down rivers. Whenever I go exploring, my destination is always a body of water. I've even "wandered" away from Rexburg before and made it to the ocean! I'm also a big fan of skinny dipping. :) I've always wanted to name a daughter "Creek" but my dad said he'd call her "Crick." Stinkin' Idahoans.
5. I can memorize. This really should have come in handy while I was studying for tests, but I rarely put this talent to anything useful. But, I can basically sing along to most songs on the radio word for word, I have random quotes and monologues and poems swimming around in my head. I could probably just recite stuff for days on end, there's that much in there. Anyone want me to rattle off the list of prepositions I learned in eighth grade? About, above, across, after, against, along, among, around, at ...
6. On Wednesdays, we wear pink. My best friend, Desirae and I saw the movie Mean Girls right after we got back from Mexico in June of 2004. We thought that quote was SO FUNNY that we've been wearing pink every Wednesday since then. Actually, Desirae's on her mission now, so I don't know how strictly she's abiding by that one, but I can honestly say that I have not missed a Wednesday in 4 1/2 years!
7. I bite things. I don't chew them. I think that's gross. But, I often claim that I'm oral retentive. Sometimes I just have to bite stuff. It's not hard, I'm not violent, but I'll bite roommates, friends, my own thumb, pillows, snowboards (careful. tongue stuck) ...
8. I don't like to match. With my new job, I have to wear pants suits fairly often. But, I'll throw in a crazy hippie necklace or something to spice things up. Not just with colors, either. I can't match styles. I have a pink fuzzy sweater that I can only wear with my army green cargo pants cuz I can't risk being too classy, girly, or put together. I have to mix it up.
9. I can't sleep in sheets. I have a quilt on top of my mattress with a bed cover over that. I sleep on top of it all with a couple blankets. I can't have them just laid over me and tucked in. I have to hold the blanket and let it move with me.
10. I ALWAYS have a song stuck in my head. My roommates used to call me the human jukebox and just ask and random "What song's playing?" and I'd be able to tell them because it was always something. For the last 7 years or so, "I've got a golden ticket" from Willy Wonka has been the most frequently played song. Don't ask me why, it just keeps coming back!
11. I love to play. I love hiking, canoeing, climbing on rocks, exploring, going for walks, playing volleyball, trying new things ... I love being active. But the key word is: "play." When it comes to "working out" I'm lazy. That involves "work." Once friends are involved, it becomes play again and I'm alright. But I don't enjoy "working out" unless I can make it into play! Which only means that I'm not very disciplined at it ...
12. I sign all the time. I learned sign language so I could talk to my cousin's daughter who's deaf and is now sixteen. I don't even see her very often, but I still sign a lot. I think I just assume that everyone knows what I'm talking about. It's seriously a much easier form of conversation for me. I'll even sign to myself. I know what I'm saying, and that's what's important. Ya just gotta be careful what you're signing as you're walking in public places. Some things you don't want to have "overheard."
13. I name stuff. My Blazer is "Captain" named after Pa Grape's Cap'n Crunch character from Veggie Tales' Pirates Who Don't Do Anything. My dad's Bonneville is "Minerva" named after Professor Minerva McGonagal in Harry Potter. My canoes are "Larry" (after Larry the Cucumber) and "Elmer" (after Elmer Fudd "be vewy vewy quiet. we'we hunting wabbits!" My camera is "Stella" just so I can yell it like they do in "Streetcar Named Desire" which I've never seen. My MP3 player is "Bucket" because I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but my Bucket carries all my tunes. My old MP3 player is "Shiny" because Kimball blinded herself with the sun's reflection on it and yelled "Ah! Shiny!" My phone is "fishy, fishy, fishy" because I'm always having to call it while I'm fishing around in my bag. My roommates named my hair "Mufasa" because it's big and looks like a lion's mane. My laptop didn't get named. I didn't come up with anything good when I got it, and now the moment's over. I usually just call it "Puter"
14. I like to be cold. I love snow and I don't mind playing in it until my whole body's numb as long as I know I can warm up and dry off later. I love making snow angels and building snow forts. I love snow boarding and opening my window at night. I love long bike rides, even in the wind! I love going for long walks until I'm crazy numb. This explains why I had frostbite in all my toes and fingers before I was four. I've always loved the cold!
15. I collect women at the well. My dad got me the picture by Simon Dewey one year for my birthday. Then, I went to Mexico, Belize and Guatemala and saw depictions of that story everywhere. We visited so many cathedrals and that one always spoke to me. I bought a black pottery statue of a woman with a pot over her shoulder in Oaxaca, Mexico. I got a fabric stuffed chunky black woman with a wooden shell pot on her shoulder in Belize. I found a paper mache old woman with a pot in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. And Lisa John just brought me a carved wooden woman at the well statue from ... Cozumel? My favorite was a three foot tall statue at a fountain in Villahermosa, Mexico where we went to see the Olmec heads. She was holding a pot that was actually pouring the water into the statue. I couldn't take her home, but I took a picture, and I LOVE it!
16. I usually don't love video games, TV, or movies unless I can share them with good friends. Video games are still way rough for me and I usually just end up watching. I don't enjoy them at all. Actually, I've recently come to detest them. Really. I'm not a gamer. I have my handful of favorite movies that I'll watch on my own, but I usually don't like to spend that time unless it's with people. I do, however LOVE the shows NCIS, Scrubs and So You Think You Can Dance. Those, I would be totally sad if I missed, but they're always more fun with friends!
17. I can't write within the lines on paper. When I fill out a message to my boss on the little message pad, he always laughs at me. My devotional/fireside/spiritual thought notebook is crazy. I think I try to fit 3 rows of writing in only 2 lines. I have zero reasoning behind this. I just can't stay in the lines. Indentation's a mess, too.
18. I hate fingernails. Long fingernails are disgusting. I had a roommate who always grew hers out, and I couldn't handle it when she touched me ... or drummed them on the table ... or just clicked on anything as she did day-to-day things! I LOVE the feeling of my own freshly cut fingernails. Seriously, one of the best things in the world. I also like to hold my own fingers up to the high-pressured shower head to clean them out.
19. In many things, I barely qualify as a girl. I've never dyed my hair (nor do I have the desire) I think manicures/pedicures are ridiculous. I'd die in high heels, I don't like to be "classy." My aunt, grandma and mom had to go in together to PAY me to start wearing makeup when I was 17. I thought I had no choice, because that's just what people do ... but now I'm realizing that out of most of the friends I've grown up with: Lindsay, Andrea, Desirae, Lauralynn, Carolyn, Kimball, Rachel ... I am now the ONLY one that really wears makeup! And I'm pretty much the most high-maintenance girly-girl out of all of you! How'd that happen?
20. I like to be physical. I don't know who started the dog-piling concept, but I love it. In some of my apartments, when anyone was down, we'd all pile on top of them. I like sitting on laps and linking arms and having friends to hug and lean on. There are a few of us who'd all rather share one chair then spread out on the couch clear across the room. We like to be cozy.
21. I like words. I often get impressed when my friends use big words. (Usually it's more of a mocking tone) and I often count the syllables of their big words and commend them for it. My dad always tried to use bigger words while I was growing up. Now that I'm older, I'm realizing that those words don't mean what he thinks they mean. He doesn't use them so much anymore, now that I can call him on it.
22. I have some weird fettish with putting things on my head. I like to walk around balancing books or water bottles or pomellos on top of my head. And when I do this, I MUST sing "I must go and fetch the water 'til the day that I am grown" from Disney's Jungle Book. It's required. Often, I'll catch my self just lounging with my arms resting on top of my head. Is that natural?
23. I love bikes and hiking sandals and canoes and paddles and snowboards. I love playing outdoors. But, I love that ALL of my equipment is old and ghetto. I got my Teva sandals on clearance and then lived in them for a month straight hiking and climbing all over Central America. They're my favorites. Fuzzy, dirty, falling apart. Love them. My bike is the same Outlook Diamondback I got when I was fifteen. I've put a LOT of miles on that baby, and she's still going strong! My canoes ... I don't even know where they came from. They're both hand-me-downs. They sit in the grass/snow/gravel in the back lot of my uncle's RV park until I take them out on the river, each time hoping they'll hold up for one more run! I need to upgrade a few things, but I'm intimidated by fancy stuff. Maybe i'll get my new canoe from a garage sale ...
24. I'm all about hypertexting. When we read the scriptures, it's called scripture chains or footnotes. I build my own. I underline as I read and write in the margins, not just with scriptures, but other books as well. I'll write in links to personal experiences or stories from other people. I like to document the application of what I read and I love establishing those connections. This occurs when I talk and type as well. Tangents go all over the place, but there's always some crazy trail back to the original topic!
25. I LOVE to be a drama queen. I love to act and have taken several acting classes. I'm really not very good at it, and I kinda freak out at auditions. For some reason, I always get the "freaking out" roles. Apparently I can yell and cry on stage. Those were always my favorite parts to play! I've played: the aunt/nanny in The Heiress who encourages then comforts/consoles her niece when her fiancee doesn't show up to elope; Martha in A Children's Hour who's been accused of an inappropriate relationship with her old college roommate which instigates huge controversy and closes the girls' school they run together; Clara in A Christmas Carol who tells Scrooge that his love for money has overtaken his love for her and that she's done waiting for him; Mrs. Faulty in Faulty Towers who owns a hotel and has to deal with an ornery, snobbish, elderly woman who's renting a room; Henrietta in Suppressed Desires who is obsessed with psychoanalysis and tries to analyze her husband and sister until it backfires and she flips out and takes it all back. I love flipping out on stage.
I'm glad you think that I don't wear makeup. You just think I'm a natural beauty!!
ReplyDelete{but, I hate to admit, that's a lie. I wear makeup. Things could get scary without it!!}
WHAT?! "Your comment has been save and will be visible after blog owner approval." What's up with that? You don't trust your commentors??
ReplyDeleteLinz, you've always worn a little makeup, but never a lot. None of us were really high-maintenance girly-girls! And yes, I have issues trusting my commentors! I had a really mean comment from someone I didn't know this summer and ever since then I've decided to filter them. I don't have to put up with that crap!
ReplyDelete