If I just forget to change my clocks, what time does church start?
No matter how people try to explain the forward/back process, my tiny brain just can't seem to grasp it. And it doesn't help that this year, Lisa had it backwards and had be believing we'd GAIN an hour of sleep! WRONG-O!! Now I'm even more tired because of my lost false hope.
And can someone tell me the purpose? Are we really "saving" daylight? And what about when we change it the other direction? Shouldn't that be called "daylight spending"?
I've just grown up to expect dark nights in the winter and lighter nights in the summer. How much of this is natural because of the earth's rotation, and how much of that has to do with time changing? Are we saving daylight so kids can play night games at 9:00 p.m. in July?
And what's the deal with Arizona? Why are they immune from all this confusion? And who can keep track of that? We're in the same time zone for half the year?! I mean, c'mon!! Let's at least be consistent! Either we ALL need to participate in this time shuffle, or nobody does. I'm advocating GLOBAL confusion!!
Then there's leap year. Seriously? What's the point? What does that do? Because we've added an extra day every 4 years, I have gained 6 days thus far. But then I don't get that either. Because if we didn't have leap year, I would still be 9774 days old. Today would just be March 15th.
And I understand that maybe we're trying to keep seasons consistent, but how does that work? Maybe it affects other places, but I live in Idaho and I've never known winter to be over on March 20th. And if it balances things out in the long run, who is really going to be around long enough to notice? 7,000 years from now, is Christmas going to be in the summer? "Back in my day, it used to snow on Christmas!" "No way, Great great great great great great great great grandma! That's just silly!" Nobody will ever know.
And then there's the International Date Line. HUH?! I'm seriously so confused about that one. You're in an airpline and you fly over the International Date Line and you lose a whole day? Or you gain a day? I've heard of people missing their 21st birthdays! I don't even remember my 21st birthday.
International Date Line baffles me. I like my cousin Sydney's definition. "Isn't that where you line up to go out with the European guys?" Now THAT's what I'm talking about.

I love you brooke... Spring FORWARD.. spring Forward mean we move the clock FORWARD...
ReplyDeleteFall Back means we Turn the Clock Back. hence Fall, you fall backwards... I love you Brooke
You're hilarious. I remember I flew back from Japan on a Sunday morning - had time to go to Sacrament meeting and everything, crossed the dateline, and got back to California on a Sunday morning. If we had planned it right, and I wasn't exhausted, I could have gone to church twice, in two countries, on the same Sunday. Weird.
ReplyDeleteYou know what else is weird? I just dreamed you got a job at a university by talking to one of your former professors. Of course, it was about midnight when this happened. The rest of us were looking for something to eat but everywhere was closed because it was late - we were on campus the whole time because we couldn't figure the buses out - they wanted to take us to Illinois. You disappeared, said you had to do something, and came back saying you had just talked to your favorite professor and now you had a job. We never did find something to eat - the alarm went off.
"mimbily" is my word verification for this comment. I think that's appropriate.
I couldn't agree with you more. I always get confused at daylight savings, it takes all the brain power I have toever figure out which way to turn the clocks. The whole thing is confusing and I think we should all be like Arizona and stop meddeling with things!
ReplyDeleteI agree!!! It's something that I've never grasped either, except for the whole spring ahead and fall behind thing. I get that one...but not the reason for it all. :)
ReplyDeleteI don't know about you guys, but when I fall, I fall FORWARD! Now, explain THAT!
ReplyDelete