Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2009

I am SO not an expert:

So, I've got a lot of projects and stuff to figure out, but I really don't know how to do any of it.

I need a party planner:
I'm burnt out. I'm usually the "committus" (singular form of "committee") and am the first to plan and get things going. I think it's the only child in me that wants to make sure I'm NEVER left home alone when there are friends to play with and stuff to do. It's been fun because there have been a lot of gatherings and events that I've been invited to, and I love that somehow I'm "in the know" on what's going on among my friends. As I told a friend, "You start showing up to EVERYTHING and then you get invited to more stuff!" It totally works! So, last weekend, we went to Pine Basin and hiked to hell. Then, during the week, we went to two softball games, a roller skating party, had a pedicure night and watched So You Think You Can Dance. So far this weekend, we had a birthday BBQ, a super long bikeride and an outdoor movie night/weenie roast. I've been somewhat involved in the planning of all these, and I'm totally burnt out by details and lack of input and committment. I have no idea what I'm doing tomorrow and I don't have any more ideas. A group of us is doing a very similar "hike to hell" that we did last week. Lisa and I have been trying to avoid duplication, but apparently I can't come up with anything else that sounds appealing enough for any sort of committment. Maybe I'll just go hike to hell again. And my birthday's coming up. Every year, I plan a sleepover/canoe/volleyball/BBQ/game/hike weekend at my Uncle's RV park in Palisades. I want to do it. I can't imagine NOT doing it. But I'm burnt out and am really crabby about making it happen. Plus, the house is stinkin' EXPENSIVE to rent!

AND some friends are going to Australia in August and I'm considering going with them. Actually, I'm not considering. I'm totally going ... except that I'm broke and it'd take a LOT of planning and budgeting and figuring out to make it happen, and I'm just burnt out on details.

I need a leather craftsman:
I have a fashion dilemma. I want the PERFECT scripture bag. I've used a different bag every other week or so, trying to figure out what I like. It's not like I don't already have 27 options, but I'm sick of 26 of those. I have one AWESOME hand-crafted leather bag I bought at a street market in Oaxaca, Mexico. I LOVE it! Problem: It's about 3 inches too small. I can either fit my triple, or my RS manual and notebook. Not all three. Now, I keep thinking that I could easily swap out one simple leather panel of this bag for a panel that's three inches wider. Do you think any leather craftsman in Idaho Falls would take on such a simple project? No. I've been turned down by two.

I need a plumber:
My bathroom sink won't drain. Every day there's that nasty toothpaste stuck to the inside of the sink because when I spit, it just floats for several minutes, then sticks. Yuck.

I need a welder:
I have a bike rack that fits rather nicely on the back of my truck. It's old. I think the pioneers used it to hitch their bikes up to the trailer hitch on their wagons. But I like it. It works! Except that last summer, when I lived in Salt Lake, I backed it up into some guy's passenger window. He didn't appreciate it, and it bent my rack a little sideways. It still works, but the bikes hang about a foot over the driver's side of the Blazer, and the whole thing's a little wobbly. I need to get it straightened out.

I need a cable guy:
We live in the ice age. My dad refused an offer for a DVR upgrade because he didn't know what DVR was and thought he'd have no use for it. Thanks, Dad. So You Think You Can Dance will start commanding the TV waves of Wednesday and Thursday nights! Where is Brooke on Wednesdays and Thursdays? ANYWHERE but home! Therefore, I have to find a way to watch this show! I have thousands of old blank tapes, but only one VCR in the house that's hooked up to cable. If I program it to record, it monopolizes the main family TV. Where are my parents on Wednesday and Thursday nights? Home. In front of the TV. NOT watching So You Think You Can Dance. Can we get cable in my room?

I need a sound system technician:
Yeah, I've been without a car stereo for six months now. I'm getting REALLY tired of listening to my own thoughts.

I need a jeweler:
I have a favorite necklace. I would wear it every single day of my life, except that it's broken. I think this is the reason I feel that I need to own 5,000 others. If I could wear my favorite one every day, it would cure a huge shopping problem. Every time I re-bead it, I can never do the knot right and the whole thing comes undone. One of these days, I'm just going to lose it alltogether, and that terrifies me. (I'd have to go back to Caye Caulker in Belize and talk to Papi and Tracy to get a replacement). So, it sits in a cup on my bookshelf. I want it back. Bad.

I need a mechanic:
My brakes have been squeaking for MONTHS. I took my truck down to my Uncle Bob's shop in Provo and had cousin Ben replace the brake pads. Now they squeak worse. What's up with that?

I need a massage therapist:
I'm uptight and messed up. I get headaches. I have bad posture. I think I probably need a chiropracter, but a massage therapist sounds better. Good friends will play with knots for 3 minutes at a time, but for some reason, they always stop too soon. I think they're taunting me.

I need a psychologist:
For reasons that probably don't need mentioning.

9 comments:

  1. For the squeaky brakes...just add some lubricant. I bet that's the problem. (My brother just switched out my back brakes and said he almost skipped out on the lubricant just to annoy me.)

    As for the rest...sorry you're feeling so...in need? I think you're terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can help with many of those things... If I can plan Utah State's freshman orientation i should be able to plan a party or trip or two. I can also probably fix your drain and your necklace. Let me know. Don't get stressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you have lots of blank tapes, run to DI and get another VCR. DVD is beginning to become accepted as standard so people are getting rid of all their old videos and video players. DI usually has several.(on a side note you can get alot of cheap really great shows on VHS right now) For your sink try using a plunger(you'll have to cover up the emergency drain part with your hand or other object that can maintain suction) Ive seen a plunger be useful in unclogging not only toilets but sinks and showers and all kinds of stuff. I took a Leathers class in 7th grade and I got my leatherwork merit badge in scouting but that experience may not be suficiently adequate or recent. If you have the material however I'm willing to give it a shot or at least take a look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: "I need a cable guy"

    Hulu or Youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff does leather work, mostly holsters but he might entertain you being family and all... James is a welder but isn't certified yet and we don't have any equipment at home so you'd have to come down here before he's out of school.
    Jonathan is right about the plunger and the sink, I've seen them work miracles.
    Might want to catch your dad up to this century, that's what my son is trying to do with me... didn't realize I was so behind the times, knowing that your dad is worse makes me feel better.
    I don't know any shrinks in your area but come down my way... we have our own team!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you just need a husband. And with a list like that, it had better be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Come visit me . . . it's not Australia, but I'm a massage therapist. From reading the other comments, I see it looks like most of your problems are solved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Amanda's suggestion the best, I vote for that!

    ReplyDelete