Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

I've got some new friends that I'm not talking to

My bathtub doesn't drain. Well ... it does, but it waits until I'm done showering. And, as it drains, air bubbles come up from the toilet. What is THAT? Living in my parents' basement has become quite the adventure. I've been using a space heater in my bedroom. Isn't it August? And the other night I was making my bed and I got a little crazy spreading the blanket and I whacked the light bulb dangling from the ceiling. I think I knocked a wire loose. Good thing I have a lamp in my room. I now have a screen in the window so I can open it up to the window well without worrying about the spiders crawling in. I'm still never home, so the reality that I live with my parents hasn't totally killed me like I thought it would. I DO really miss seeing my roommates. I miss our random movie nights, and trying to figure out what's for dinner. (I'd usually wait to see what they're having and then try to duplicate it.)

But, I've been realizing more and more that there was a purpose for this particular "catastrophe" in my life. I'm not where I want to be, but at least I have a place to live and it's not an entirely HORRIBLE situation. I'd rather be somewhere else, and I would have loved to stay with Brooke and Gina, but maybe this time, it isn't about me. The girl who took my place in their house needed it more than I did. Chris really didn't have a place to live and Brooke and Gina's was an answer to her prayers. I read Chris's blog yesterday and I now realize that my loss was her gain, and I can live with that. I could have it much worse. and I'm glad Chris is happy where she's living now. There's just got to be something else in store for me. 

There's a line from a song that has been playing in my head for weeks now, and is more applicable now than ever. The song is "New Years Resolution" by Graham Colton. The line is "I've got some old friends I think I'm losing. I've got some new ones that I'm not talking to." I've mentioned before that this year is the summer of my best friends' weddings. I'm not completely losing them, but things are definitely changing, and I'm feeling that loss. Shmarah, Des, Kimball and Lisa are all moving on. But, I've reconnected a bit with old friends Lauralynn and Andrea whom I've known since kingergarden and that's been a fun reminder that the good ones never really leave. It's the "new friends that I'm not talking to" that has me the most concerned right now. I'm praying a LOT and trying to be patient, but a good friend of mine has just stopped talking to me. We haven't been particularly close, but we were getting there. We used to text quite a bit and even see each other a few times a week. It's only been a week, but I've heard nothing. I'd like to not take that personally, but I've sent texts and keep getting no response. I'm not bombarding. I'm keeping my distance--it's got to get better soon, right? What's most confusing is that I didn't do anything! This has happened before with other friends after a disagreement or something, but I'm racking my brain and I've come up with nothing. Maybe this isn't about me, either. It's hard not to take things personally when mine is the only perspective I have. I see how things impact ME and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do about it. I'm not sure what went wrong, but I hope I can figure out how to make it right.

In the meantime, I went shopping. I bought the same shirt in 4 different colors and I'm thinking I need a fifth. They're cute. They were on clearance, and sometimes, this is the kind of stuff that just makes me happy. Today, I'm wearing the yellow one.

I also went on a bike ride yesterday. This girl topped off at 20.78 miles by the time I got back home. I even found and conquered a few small hills east of Idaho Falls. Man, that area is fun! And Starbursts have super powers.

My cousin, Kimmy, is one of my biggest blessings. We've only been close friends for the last couple of years, but man, I don't know what I'd do without her. We're 13 years apart in age and not even technically related, but we have so much in common.  And we've come into each others' lives at just the right time. I haven't found anyone else who's as easy to talk to or who has better words of advice and encouragement. I love you, Kim! Thanks for always being there.
Someday soon, I'll post about some weddings I've been involved in. :)

Now. Here are some relevant pictures:


Me and cousin Kimmy--my best cheerleader and friend. 


me, Brooke and Gina at Brooke's birthday dinner. This was a post-roommate picture with my roommates. Glad we still look good together. :)


me and Amy hiking in Palisades. This was one of my best days ever! Great conversation and awesome adventures.


me and Kimball doing the "pwetty face" after her sealing. The professional photographer liked it and got some shots of his own. Can't wait to see what he does with them! Oh, dear. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so stinkin' famous! First the goat lady and now Brooke's blog!

    Seth says he'll watch the girls so we can go on a girl-date sometime ...

    ReplyDelete