Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Everybody ZUMBA!!

So, most of you who know me know that I'm not good at working out. I get bored with treadmills and crunches. Usually, I just get tired and go for the cookies. But, I'm ALL for being active! If I'm convinced that I'm "playing" instead of working out, I love it! I can't get enough of hiking, biking and volleyball and I've recently developed a love of Ultimate Frisbee (as long as the conditions are right, which usually means that I have good, patient friends on my team--which means I can't play with Jeff.) But, the most recent physically active development in my life is ZUMBA!!

I've now been to four classes. You'd think I'd have picked up a bit more, but I think my fourth class was almost as disastrous as my first. The second and third classes get my vote. I started going to class with Kylee and that makes it even more fun. As I jump and shake it and display my lack of coordination, it's okay because with Ky, I have NO shame.

Kylee's in Texas, so last night I went to class without her. Kylee's friend, Kelsey, who also comes to class with us brought a friend, parked it in the row behind me and forgot my name. So, I was a lone Zumba-er amongst about a hundred crazy jumping ladies. The class is a BLAST! And on Wednesday, I plan to remember what I'm doing. 

My favorite parts--the fun music they pick out and the way the steps all match the counts ... it's seriously fun! and I love that I work up a sweat and am sore the next day--proving that I've had a workout, but I never feel miserable while I'm doing it! AND there's very little room to feel self-conscious because there are women of all shapes and sizes and levels of coordination AND nobody has time to pay attention to each other because we're all too busy keeping up with the teachers, who are HILARIOUS and fun to watch, as well. Man, those ladies can shake it!
So, here are my two favorite Zumba songs. They've been stuck in my head and I can't hear them without wanting to ZUMBA! (is that a verb? It is now.)




**Urban dictionary defines zumba as: A dance exercise where you dance for about an hour straight. Zumba incorporates all different types of dances such as salsa, marimba, belly dancing, cha-cha, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment