Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Things to tell myself

Sometimes I write for certain readers, and then I find out that those particular readers aren't even reading. I can only send out so many, "Hey! You should read my blog!" emails before I start seeming vain or desperate. So ... I lapse. What's the purpose in writing if nobody reads?
And then i realize I miss it. I miss documenting. I still think of great blog ideas while in the shower. (I need a waterproof internet connection--sans camera.) I stop thinking about audience-specific blog entries and think of things I want to tell myself.
So... to the world--there's not much I have to say.
But,

Dear me,

Today I want to tell you that sometimes it's okay stop and take a breath. When things don't work out, it just means that there's something better down the road.

The best friends aren't always the ones who will go on road trips or climb mountains or ride roller coasters. (While those friends ROCK!!) I don't necessarily need those adventures to build good relationships. Sometimes, all it takes to make my day (and my friendships) is to dance like a dinosaur or wake up in the middle of a volleyball game or even buddy-carry a Zumba platform into a dark locker room. My life has been full of adventures. They don't always need to be big ones, I can basque in the beauty of the small ones.

FOCUS. It's hard, but SO worth it. Walking around in a daze gets me nowhere. But so often, my mind just shuts down. I don't need constant stimulus. I need to be able to make time for important things and focus enough to accomplish them. Namely, I need to put more effort into figuring out my life. Scripture study can definitely stand for more improvement. All of this requires greater focus.

Necessities: wellness doctor's appointment, order new contacts, pay for truck repairs, figure out Christmas gift ideas, work ahead on the branch bulletin and get to church early enough to set it out. Make a two-hour block EVERY week for the temple--why do ward activities always try to interfere with the ONLY time I come up with? think of practical lunch ideas that I can bring to work so I don't starve.
Non-necessities: ordering new bicycle stuff on etsy, ordering ANYTHING on etsy. I really don't have many non-essentials. I find my 2 hours of TV a week is fairly reasonable. I don't have to go to ALL the volleyball nights, but what else would I be doing during that extra hour?

Joining Zumba, starting up a volleyball team, going to Ultimate Frisbee and growing to love hiking and biking are some of the BEST things I've ever done. Keep on being active. It feels GREAT!

Don't lapse into frustration or desperation with relationships. Friends will be friends on their own terms. Be okay with that and be okay with myself and you'll all find ways to enrich each others' lives.

Gold fingernails were a bad idea.
Lay off the candy corn.
And take that blue and tan shirt that you spilled frozen yogurt on to the dry cleaner.
Don't spill frozen yogurt.

Love, me.

4 comments:

  1. I love you for so many reasons! The gold fingernail polish solidifies it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ::Shudder:: Why, oh why did you have to include "FOCUS" as part of your post?! Suddenly I was transported to yearbook days of yore with Revilo shouting "FOCUS!" at all of us. I seriously thought I had dealt with all of my past yearbook nightmares until I read that. Now excuse me while I discuss my formerly repressed memories with my psychiatrist ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog all the time! :) You always bring some laughs to my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely understand what your saying, but like you said, its good to document for yourself. :) I'm totally tired of people ignoring my posts and NEVER commenting!!! It's sad. :( BUT...I know its important to keep a record of your life for yourself. Your future spouse and children will appreciate you for it.

    BTW, I read your blog all the time. Sorry I never comment. I promise I'll be better about that. Love ya Brooker!

    ReplyDelete