
To start out with ... I was born for much smaller things. Who wants to be big and corporate? Not me! I loved my time in the small town Rexburg newspaper where I could wear jeans and flip flops to work and crawl on the floor after my coworker's one year old daughter. I'd wander to the back and steal M&M's from Tyler to throw at Jim. I miss that. Now, I have to have a security card to even open the door into my department. We each have our own spotless cubicles with sterilyzed computers and our own telephone extensions. I have to wear slacks or a skirt to work everyday! i don't even think my khakis will cut it! It doesn't help that I've gained 15 pounds in the past few months and don't fit into any of my clothes as it is! So now I'm the fat corporate kid who sits at a computer going over tutorials learning software to log convicts. I hate convicts! All the ones I know are no good!


And let's not forget about this guy! He (or someone like him) stopped me in the parking lot of the grocery store to ask me on a date! THEN he (or someone like him) slowed down and winked at me in the Walmart parking lot! He (or someone like him) lives next door and across the way and just downstairs and he's everywhere I go! Creepy guys! I don't like it. I just really really don't like it!

Then, there's this mess! In Rexburg, there's pretty much only one way to get anywhere! No wrong turns that loop you to Reno, no merging lanes or exits from the left lane, no belt routes blah blah blah blah ... I get off work and it takes me 30 minutes to drive the 10 miles to my apartment! Forget about driving to see friends or family or even going shopping! I'm just sitting in the middle of millions of other people who aren't going anywhere, listening to accident reports on the radio and driving 15 miles an hour! This is RIDICULOUS!!!

And let's not forget about this guy! He (or someone like him) stopped me in the parking lot of the grocery store to ask me on a date! THEN he (or someone like him) slowed down and winked at me in the Walmart parking lot! He (or someone like him) lives next door and across the way and just downstairs and he's everywhere I go! Creepy guys! I don't like it. I just really really don't like it!
oh brookie poo, i can't say i've experienced anything but the big city that you're hating so much but i feel like you'll get used to it and learn to love it. especially if someday we have a cousinly rendezvous. text me or something and tell me where you're living so we can play!
ReplyDeleteBut doesn't it make you feel so sexy? and attractive? and yucky?
ReplyDeleteIf you have a kid, they leave you alone, at least where we live.
And you and Gentry ought to just call me and show up at our house and eat all of our Milano cookies and milk. I would make cookies, but when? It's crazy here, but if you ever want experience painting things, come here! We have lots of paint and things to paint!
You are so funny! I love that you are having these experiences, how fun to be able to look back in ten years and remember how exciting life was. I am sure you are doing a great job and I can't wait to see you uin July!
ReplyDeleteGent--
ReplyDeleteImagine living all your life at the RV park (which is what I'd do if I had the option) and then coming to Salt Lake! I know people live like this for real, but I just can't see myself doing it! Everything I love is swallowed up in this smelly, hot, busy chaos! Ack! I'm living in South Salt Lake, but I suck at travelling, and Provo seems like a million miles away with all this traffic! Ridiculous!
Amanda, can I borrow Silvester when I need to go to the store? I like Milano cookies. Not a fan of painting. Mom does crafts, remember? I hate art in ANY form. We'll work on that.
Sarah-- your lack of sympathy is exasperating! I can't believe your excited for this mess. It's SO not funny! Stinkin' Texas girl has no idea ... but I can't wait to see you anyway!
Hey... how come you've been here a week and I didn't know. I have a kid or two you can borrow, they do tend to be icky guy repellent. Come over and I'll bbq for you and we'll go over all the finer points of what to do and not do here... and if you need I'll just pick you up on my way home with the rest of the kids.... there's room... besides your work isn't 'that' far from me....
ReplyDeleteI still think Amanda should bring S over and fully envelope herself in what she is to expect in the up coming years by hanging out with the twins for a few.... lol
and while I'm here if it makes you feel any better I have a security card and have to wear slacks too... bites big time! But, I just applied for a new job, had my interview yesterday so I have my fingers crossed.... closer to home, still with the state so same benefits.... but if I stay where I am I have to wait for someone to die or retire to move up anywhere... I don't have that much patience.
ReplyDeleteIf you think SLC is bad, try LA! Okay...I hadn't lived in a big city until we moved here, and let me tell you, sending me to a big city was not a good idea! I ended up nearly to San Diego on my way to the grocery store because I got off the wrong exit on the million lane freeway and was afraid to get off anywhere. And San Diego is nearly a 3 hour drive! Oh, the joys of big city living. You get used to it quick! Imagine me...Lindsay...driving on an 8 lane freeway! Yeah, I do it everyday with two little kids! I'm cool. You're almost as cool...you'll get there!
ReplyDeleteHey Brooke-
ReplyDeleteI would have to say that compared to Phoenix (or the valley as the locals call it) Salt Lake is small potatoes. It is not so bad once you get used to driving in 6 lane freeways. Granted, I don't want to live here forever, but now I feel like I could conquer any big city. It makes me laugh that I used to think Salt Lake was big and scary!
I had a few minutes before heading off to work, and I thought I'd take a gander through your blog. I opened up your May 2008 portion and hit the bottom link.
ReplyDeleteYou SO cannot say you're not witty! I laughed out loud at the "fat corporate kid" comment and chuckled appreciatively throughout.
There you go.