Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Revelations of 5/21/08

I have gained such a strong testimony of looking outside myself. Living at Greenbrier, I tried to hide away during the last few months ... but in this type of community, you can only remove yourself so much! I still had so many people whom I loved and so many activities and socialities to be involved in!
Since I've moved to Salt Lake, I've been miserable. I've hid in my cubicle at work, not knowing how to fit in, and not knowing where to go when I get off work. I didn't know what I'd be missing by leaving Greenbrier! At GB, we're a family and sociality is forced upon you! You can't help but to be a part of things! In Salt Lake, I've found that I could just disappear in the throngs of people, or even worse, go all day, surrounded by people, but not be noticed! I didn't like the way I was feeling, but I didnt' know what to do about it. Then I realized what was missing. Service. I hadn't taken an opportunity to look outside myself and see where I could be needed. I haven't been able to attend a ward yet, I'm not a visiting teacher, I don't have a calling, and I've missed that! I prayed to my Heavenly Father that I would find a way to serve. That some organization would fall into my lap, or that I would see where I am needed. Nothing HUGE and amazing has happened, except that I was able to take my cousin's kids for a day to give her a break and spend some time with them, and I was able to spend some time with a lady at work and make a new friend.
But this only further confirms one of my favorite teachings of the Church. We are all in this together. We are meant to lift and teach and learn and grow together.
I know the Church is true. I know without a doubt that Jesus is my Savior. I know that President Monson is a true prophet and that what he and our other leaders teach us is straight from our Heavenly Father. I know all these things. They've never been in question! But ... what am I going to do about it? That's what's been lacking. I know the truth, but the Gospel isn't just something to "know" ... it's something to "do." And until I can go out and LIVE the Gospel ... serve, teach, grow and reach out to others, I'm not going to find true happiness. We're all in this together!

4 comments:

  1. You need to post a pic of your new do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm. Thanks Heather, for that sentiment! I don't have any pictures yet! I totally should have taken some tonight ... but it's too late. I look like butt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for Brooke being happy! Good job figuring yourself out, you are such a great person and i can't wait to see this summer! We will be in Sandy in July and will have to get together for sure. I don't think we are going to go Rexburg after all because gas prices are so high, Joelle will just have to come down to Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose my sentiment wasn't too deep... but what do you expect... you know my chaos... I think it's a cute do... I need a cute do... one that doesn't say frazzled frumpy working mother of 6 and grandma!

    ReplyDelete