Truthfully, I've gone overboard in a LOT of areas lately. This week has just piled icing and sprinkles onto the cake. Why in the world would anyone ever use cake and "icing on the cake" as an example for loads of stuff gone wrong? Maybe the phrase wasn't intended to be used in the negative spectrum.
The "cake" is something HUGE in my world that continues to rise up and torture me time and time again. I'm not gonna tell you about it. But the icing? Well, the icing AND the sprinkles have threatened to take me down this week. Let's just say that the "cake" already had a really good start and only needed a little help.
- I'm OVERWHELMED at work. Things are just crazy. I feel bombarded on all sides, every department needing something from me and it all happens at the same time. I'm really good at multitasking, which is a MUST, and I'm even okay with redundancy (because, no matter how hard I work one day to get everything done, I will almost ALWAYS end up re-doing something the next day.) But I'm fine with all of that. In fact, I'm really good at it! Now, one department wants to add a process that dumps a LOAD of extra work in my lap (they seem to think it's a super easy process. It's not.) I'm trying to tell them the best way to make it all happen--since it's all on my plate, and they seem to think I'm asking too much. Really? I'm even okay taking that on, because I'm the hub that brings so many of our newspaper processes together. What I'm NOT okay with?--My intense level of responsibility is NOT reflected in my pay. So many people depend on me. I can't take a day off. I can't even take a potty break on some days. I'm drowning and I'm getting paid in peanuts! So, I finally spoke up this week. Know what I got? A freaking iPhone. I feel like a sell-out. I don't even know how to use the stupid thing. I can't take that to the bank. And, I actually just got a new phone about a month ago. It was simple. I liked it. On this iPhone, I can't even get my Mufasa ringtone as my text message tone. It's deleted my contacts list twice now. My picture of Baby Rigdon is gone. I'm not impressed. And again--can't take that to the bank!
- There's kind of a BIG reason I need something to take to the bank right now. My Captain is on his death bed. Last week, we put in a significant chunk of change on new tires and a new steering ... something. Then, I drove him to Utah and back. Apparently he didn't like that. We're now looking at a new engine. The plan was to put him on a trailer and drag him down to Uncle Bob's shop in Provo. (Yes, we were JUST there.) Dad's Durango was going to drag him back. The Durango fell sick on Friday. This was the same day dad lost his wallet with cash and gift cards that can't be replaced. We're down to 2 cars in a 3-person family and we all get to play musical cars all week. I may be hitch hiking.
- While in Utah, I found out a dear friend of mine has been STRUGGLING and I can't do anything about it.
- I played like CRAP at volleyball Monday night. The team we should have beat CREAMED us.
- The phone case I bought for my iPhone was actually made for an iPod. It doesn't fit.
- My boss wants me to give her my old phone. But it's still got all my contacts. And it's my alarm clock. My iPhone doesn't have one--at least that I can find. I need to keep this. It's MINE!
- I've been breaking out like CRAZY. Zits everywhere. Thank you, skin, for putting my insecurities out there for the world to see. I'm pretty sure paper bags are against my work dress code.
- Shin splints.
- The strap on my new grown-up purse broke. I was just starting to like that thing.
- I may have had a bit of a breakdown on Wednesday. (What constitutes a full-fledged breakdown?)
- I had an AMAZING friend on the other end of the phone who was so willing to talk to me. But I wouldn't/couldn't. I'm a pro at beating around the bush. We talked about "flour" and "eggs" and "sugar", but I just couldn't bring myself to bring out the whole "cake". I really need a good purge, but I shut down. I want to talk about cake. But, so many people don't like cake. If only I had donuts instead.
This guy has great insight:
Everyone is tested. One might think it is unfair to be singled out and subjected to a particular temptation, but this is the purpose of mortal life—to be tested. And the answer is the same for everyone: we must, and we can, resist temptations of any kind.
I never really cared for cake, but I'm a weirdo when it comes to pastries, and your point remains: "icing on the cake" must be a misnomer...
ReplyDeleteI totally had a terrific time watching LOST with you on Saturday, and "making" you lunch. :)
Isn't it awesome that the conference report just came outt for us to review and study?
You are stronger than you might think, sweetie. Sorry life is caving in on all sides. Love you!