Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I am not clever.

Nope. I'm not. There's just nothing else to it. I may have a slightly clever "tone" right now but it's only because I've been reading through some of the most all-time entertaining blogs in the world. And like I know I should never do, I've compared myself to them. I also just spent a hilarious evening at a singles' activity at a table with some very clever girls. When it comes to "clever appreciation" I am very skilled. But I just can't dish it!
I also come from a line of genetic cleverness. Want some laughs? Stop by my cousin Amanda's blog. Or go visit Uncle Kelan in Portland. (I just did, and he has a very eery resemlance to my father post-moustache. I never saw it until my daddy shaved. That in itself was entertaining!) More funniness? Seth and Andrea ALWAYS crack me up. Just simple observations of everyday life turned witty. But seriously? I try and it just doesn't happen for me. That's my problem. If you have to TRY to be funny, you just don't get it. Like those people who explain why their jokes are funny. I DO THAT! Or those that get a kick when they make someone laugh, so they push it even further (Brian Regan does this, but I seriously get a kick out of him.) ...
But there's a difference between humor and cleverness. I want to be clever. I want to say something smart with a twist of wit that leaves people laughing and contemplating, while I just continue in my jolly, witty existence. For those of you BYU-Idaho graduates, do you remember Comic Frenzy? Do you remember some of the freakin' hilarious people who piloted that program and continue on in their endlessly humorous lives? My favorites? James and Valerie Best. Ben Parkes. Annie Hurst Howington (mother of Lila), Jon-Peter Lewis (yes, the American Idol guy) ... I've been cruising through their blogs and seriously considered posting some of their stuff as my own. Or, at least mimicking some of their ideas with my own twist ... but whatever. I need to give credit where credit is due. I want to share with you a list that Valerie Best wrote on Jon-Peter's blog. (yes, these witty people run in the same circles and often contribute to each others' witticisms). And, I'm posting this without her permission. Take that, Valerie.

Things Fall is Good For:
1. Eating apples (not these depressing ones from the grocery store, eating apples from farmer's markets, or from one of those farms where you pick your own fruit)
2. Buying sweaters from thrift stores (James just informed me that there's no use buying new sweaters, as they've been making the same three styles of sweaters since the beginning of time. I think he may have a point)
3. Learning to bake a pie
4. Using the word deciduous in conversation
5. Learning to spell the word deciduous (full disclosure: I looked it up)
6. Entering a chili cook-off
7. Starting a scrapbook of that stuff that piles up in your wallet (concert tickets, metro cards from D.C., movie tickets, etc)
8. Cooking something in a crock pot
9. Taking very long walks, and calling them constitutionals
10. Memorizing the Gettysburg Address

Seriously? Funny. That's all I have to say about it. I really can't say anything more, because that would be pointint out the funny in something that's just standalone funny! So, if you'd like to be further entertained, I'd recommend clicking on the links I've given you. Stop looking here. You won't find anything nearly that funny. I may, however, get the gumption to try. But then in "trying" I'll have already failed.

4 comments:

  1. Your last blog didn't have a comment place... and you are very clever dear cousin... and such grand adventures, I envy them sometimes when my biggest adventure is finding out who ate all the waffles in the middle of the night or who flushed what down the toilet... that's not very fun. Regardless you seem to be enjoying yourself, keep it up, you've always been awfully hard on yourself. Take it easy kick back, life happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are funny! I distinctly remember you making me laugh on more than one occasion when we were roomies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont know what you meant by that, but you always seem to make me laugh...especially on our trip. The comment "well, I'd never say that's a b***, but I know what you mean." I couldn't stop laughing about that one! You are more clever than you think! Love ya babe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so much more clever and witty than you realize. I've only read through your 2 most recent posts and I've totally gotten a kick out it. YAY! Now...once you give me your email addy, I'll totally invite you to read mine. (oH, how I love blog buddies!)

    ReplyDelete