So ... I've been a little confused lately about degrees.Elder Oaks said: "There were three degrees of quality: good, better, and best. We have to forego some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families."
Dallin H. Oaks, “Good, Better, Best,” Liahona, Nov 2007, 104–8
But, there are several "good" things ... and probably fewer "better" things ... but is there only one "best"? Who's to say that one "best" isn't just as good as another? And who's to say that you can't choose multiple "bests" and still forego the things that get in the way, that may only be "good"? How do we truly define the one and only "best"?
I've researched a bit into absolute adjectives. You can't be "more perfect" ... something's either perfect, or it's not! Yet, Jefferson wrote the Constitution of the United States "in order to form a more perfect union." So, if Jefferson can say it, why can't we? If there can be a "more perfect," then, I believe there's such a thing as multiple "bests".
Then there's "more unique."
"Unique" is a word that means "unlike any other." Someone or something can either be incomparable (unique) or like someone or something else (not unique). People and things cannot be "very unique" or "more unique" than others. Colloquial speech has developed an alternate meaning of "unique" - "unusual," which is not absolute and can therefore be modified in a comparative manner. However, this usage is not acceptable in standard written English and formal speech. --I can't properly cite this. Joelle found it for me, but didn't give me the source!
But what about when it comes to "Best Friends"? I have friends that I love! I have so many favorite memories, that they've stopped being favorites! (Is "favorite" another qualified word that I need to define?) When I was younger, I always wanted a best friend! Everyone around me always seemed to be partnered up, and I was always a third wheel! I had a "Best Friend" club when I was nine with Heidi Lewis and Melanie Fullmer. We had the necklaces and the matching ... whatever. One day in seventh grade, Melanie Gray and I spent an afternoon together at the mall, and ended up with "Best Friend" rings. Elissa Owens and I had a summer or two with our "Best Friend" notes and adventures. When I was that young, I'd take whatever best friend would have me! I still played and had fun with Lindsay, Andrea, Lauralynn, Krystal, Shantel, Amanda, Nicole, Melissa, Marianne, Tammy, April ... but I'd always looked for that "pairing off" of a best friend!
Brooke & Des

Brimball
So, was I betraying Desirae as my "best friend" when Kimball came along in college? Kimball and I practically shared a brain. We didn't have to explain ourselves, we always knew what the other was thinking and we were able to follow through with the jokes! Kimball was the first to make me feel wanted individually. Everywhere we went, she'd look for me and be by my side. We really enjoyed each others' company and found that we completed each others' senses of humor! Everything was funny with Kimball. We just couldn't get enough of spending time together! We'd play and do things, but most of all, we'd laugh! Kimball hated the term "best friend" because she thought it was a declaration of ownership. We'd never use the term until one day, we were talking and it just slipped out! "I don't know how it happened, but you've become my best friend! You're sneaky like that!" I know the term "best" means there should only be one. But, Desirae has not been replaced! These two "bests" fill different parts of my life! Can't I have more than one best friend?

I am so grateful for these three BESTS in my life! They're not in any sort of rivalry. I don't agree that "best" in an absolute adjective. These three are all bests for different reasons, for the different values they add to my life, and for the roles they all play in my happiness, completion, and helping me become a better person.
“Oh, how we need each other. Those of us who are old need you who are young. And, hopefully, you who are young need some of us who are old. It is a sociological fact that women need women. We need deep and satisfying and loyal friendships with each other.”
In Virginia H. Pearce, ed., Glimpses into the Life and Heart of Marjorie Pay Hinckley (1999), 254–55.
I've done tributes to my three best friends on my sidebar. I intend to keep them all there for awhile. They each deserve that special place and that recognition!
You are amazing Brooke! I cannot believe the things you get so deep into, they are always things that we all should think about a little more like you. Thanks for sharing that with us. And the part about the young needing the old and the old needing the young...well I have experienced that many times in my life. I almost died having my last baby I spent a long time in the ICU while I had a lot of older people at my home raising my girls. Older people as in my relief society president, Mom, aunts etc...We do need the old and we can learn so much from them. I have become a much wiser, kinder person because of older people's examples in my life. Thank you for always having good things to remind us about. And I am really needing an update on little Lyla. How is she doing?
ReplyDeleteIsn't it great how we are given different people at different times in our lives to learn and grow from. Each is so special and plays such a special role, yet none is better than the other. How blessed we are!
ReplyDeleteYes! In my post, I was saying only children were snotty. Hello! Look at us! We are evil! I am still an only child at heart. I am such a brat and total snot. I will never grow out of it. We just have to accept it and move on! :)
ReplyDeleteI think its amazing how we can each fill a certain spot in each others lives when we don't think we really need it. I know that I've always been so adamant about Breanna being my one and only best friend, but then I met Sarah and you. You three have meant so much to me, and I love how Heavenly Father knows what we need from our friends even more than we do.
ReplyDeleteThank you for being so supportive last night and kicking me in the butt. I really do appreciate it more than you know. I needed it. I'm so thankful for having you as a best friend and I'm thankful to my Heavenly Father every day for placing us in each others lives.