
For those of you who are following this, I thought I'd keep you posted on the latest update on Lila written by her grandma:
It has taken me until today to be able to write an update on how Lila is doing. Yesterday brought the diagnosis we all feared – brain cancer. Lila’s tumor was made up of 2 elements; the outer section was a teratoma tumor (which is very rare to find in that location and in an infant), but the inner core was a yolk sac or germ cell tumor, which is the worst and most malignant tumor. It truly was miraculous that this very dangerous tumor was incased in a teratoma tumor and that the tumor was able to be successfully removed. Lila will start chemotherapy a week from Monday – June 16. She will have 8 months of chemo, which will involve a once a month treatment in which she will be hospitalized for 3-5 days. Germ cell tumors have a 40 -60% survival rate, which was devastating to hear yesterday but seems very hopeful today. We are hoping that all of you will be willing to hang in for a very long time with us. We need all of your prayers more than ever! I will keep Fast for Lila updated with new pictures (check out the one of Lila smiling that Ben posted today ☺ ), and frequent updates on how she is progressing. As soon as Ben and Annie have figured out how they are going to readjust their lives for her to be treated at Duke, I will post that too. We are completely humbled with immense gratitude for all of you. The comfort you have brought us is impossible to put into words.
Thanks Brooke. I love that happy baby picture. Babies are amazing! Their strong spirits shine through everything. I pray for this family, even though I don't know them. There's love and prayers for them coming from Alameda, California. Hope you're doing well too.
ReplyDeleteJennifer--
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your support. It's amazing how strangers rally together for things like this! I got a personalized note from Annie yesterday. They feel our prayers and are so grateful for the support. Thank you!
How are you and yours doing?
I think you'll agree that Jennifer tends to be pretty elusive... anyway, seems to be the month for babies being sick... a girl here, her son just got diagnosed with Kawasaki disease and it's affected his heart... My Miss Hunter was diagnosed yesterday with galactosemia... of course none of these are as serious as Lila, but kids are so resiliant... and she's smiling... that's a good thing...
ReplyDelete