Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

It's about LOVE. This may be influenced by Valentine's Day.

Today in church we talked a lot about good examples and showing our love for each other. We even talked a bit about the ways we give and receive love and how sometimes it's hard to do because we all have different perspectives and ways we express ourselves. This has been on my mind a LOT lately. It's brought a lot of frustrations and has caused me to reflect on my own behavior and communication.
I've also reflected a lot on the issue of respect. Not in a "respect your elders" sort of way, but just a general respect for people around us. I have a coworker who is really bothering me because of her lack of respect for others. She's never attacked me personally, but just being within earshot of her tirades makes me very uncomfortable.
I'm not the best at this myself. I need to work on it. Awareness is the first step, right? Well, I need to make a stronger attempt at being aware of my own interactions.
This weekend, I got to spend some time with an old friend. Lisa has always been such an example of sincerity and respect for others. I noticed it three years ago when we used to spend time together nearly every day. I think I got too used to it. I started taking it for granted. I think maybe I expected all friends to be this way. But then--maybe we all should? I want to work on it. Being away from her for so long, and then getting to spend time together with her twice in the last two weeks has opened my eyes again to her amazing social skills and the effortless way she makes others feel appreciated.
I was writing in my journal tonight, listing qualities that I appreciated in Lisa and want to work on better emulating myself. I wrote them all down in my journal and then decided to also post them here--in case anyone else would like tips on how to be a better friend. Oh, and I kinda wanted to do a tribute to my dear Lis!
Lisa knows me better than most people. Like I said, we spent a LOT of time together and shared a lot of insights into the inner workings of each others' lives. What's cool is that she remembers those things. In all of our interactions, even though it's been a year and a half since we've spent much time together, we pick up right where we left off. It's like she KNOWS me.
Lisa's so attentive to details. She notices non-verbal cues and reacts to them. It's almost like she can read minds. She picks up on cues and signals and wants to know the reason behind them. She can always tell if someone has something to input into a conversation and she'll stop what she's saying to ask what that person thinks. She also can always tell when you're having a bad day and goes out of her way to find out why. She calls me out if my "body language" doesn't match my words. She wants to know what I REALLY think, not just what I want to present. She pays attention. None of these things is necessarily communicated outwardly. She just notices.
She's sincere. She genuinely listens and cares about details in everyone's lives. She asks questions to fill any gaps and to understand better. She pays attention to what you have to say and doesn't get distracted from stories or conversations.
She's very respectful. She truly sees each person as an individual with needs. She's always trying to figure out what drives people and how to best interact with each person.
She never interrupts or competes for conversation. So often, we'll start talking at the same time, and she'll always defer to the other person first. Too often, I interject as she's talking and she'll immediately stop her end and listen to what I have to say. RUDE on my part, but totally respectful on hers.
She always gives feedback to the other person's point of view and shows genuine interest. When their opinion conflicts with her own, she keeps hers to herself so as not to trample their feelings.
She she doesn't understand something, she asks questions, repeats back what you said and truly seeks for clarification.
She's not a "smile and nod" listener. She sincerely listens!
She's quick to compliment and pays attention to people's good qualities. She notices the little things and makes you feel good about them.
She'll take the bullet and go out of her way so you don't feel stupid for something. She'll never draw your own mistakes to your attention. She'll silently fix them on her own and let you remain happy in ignorance. Once, I had a big zit on the side of my nose. I didn't know it was there. But she traded places with me for a picture so it wouldn't show. When i asked her why we were trading places, she told me it was because SHE had a zit. Wow.
When I'm upset about something little and stupid, she doesn't try to blow it off. She knows when some little things need drama and are worth getting upset over.
She validates me in my ups and downs--gets upset when I'm upset and happy when I'm happy. She never makes me feel like I'm not justified or ridiculous for feeling the way I do. She understands.
Lisa makes me feel loved and makes me want to be better at showing love to others.

1 comment:

  1. Coming from the person that lives with her now, I can attest to what Brooke is saying. Lisa is an incredible woman and I feel so blessed to have her in my life as well. -Craig

    ReplyDelete