Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

I don't like Susan's almond puffs

I don't like my coworker's almond puffs. But the woman is a self-proclaimed gourmet chef and those are her specialty. Everyone else seems to LOVE them. I can't figure out why. They're GROSS. But, I'm the oddity. That got me thinking. There are a LOT of scenarios like this in my life. Things I like or don't like that are outside of the majority ... quirks that I have that I can't really explain ... here are a few others that have come to mind.

I HATE shopping carts. I won't touch them. I'll use a basket if it's available, but they have no baskets at WinCo. This helps me limit impulse buys, as I have to stack and balance everything I'm buying on top of my box of Crispix (which I purchase, whether I need it or not, because it creates a good base.) If I need both milk AND juice in the same trip, I'm hosed. So far, this method has worked for me. I know I'll eventually be in trouble if I'm grocery shopping for a family, but that's what husbands are for, right? He'll have to push the cart.

I hate remote controls. We lost ours when I was about 7. We never replaced it. I'm much more content getting up and changing the channel on the TV. Those things are complicated. Channel surfing is a BIG pet peeve. I hate getting into a show (or even a commercial) and my roommate changes it. We have 3 remotes at my house right now. I can't work them. My roommates have to help me out every time NCIS comes on. I panic.

I spit in the shower. I think I already wrote about this. In Mexico, I was trained to not ingest the water. It became a habit. Shower water is not welcome in my mouth!

I can't have naked wrists. My wrists are SCRAWNY and weak-looking. Some may call that small-boned and elegant, but I see wussy. I have to cover them. Plus, jewelry is fun. I have a killer tan line on my left wrist because I NEVER go without my watch. And lately, I've had a thing for keeping 4 bracelets on my right wrist. I think it's fun! Tacky, and mismatched, but fun!

Speaking of tacky, I can't do "elegant." Up hair-do's, wearing black and white, shiny jewelry, high heels, crisp lines ... I can't do any of that. I try and I kind of panic. I need to throw in a crazy scarf or even a pair of Tevas to throw it off.

One thing that makes me happier than it should are SHORT fingernails. It's a GOOD day when I can chop my fingernails down to the skin. I love them short. I love when I can type without my nails getting in the way. Fingernails are GROSS. I don't want them.

I don't understand hair products. I don't even own hair spray, mousse, gel ... nothing. I wouldn't know what to do with it. It's all too high-maintenance for me.

4 comments:

  1. I love that I knew all this about you. Makes me feel like we're true friends. (Okay, I didn't know that about short finger nails; I think I knew you don't like long ones, but I didn't know you don't want fingernails, that you think they're gross altogether. Hmm...)

    You are an oddity, but that's just how I like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll only push a shopping cart with a child inside. I feel so awkward pushing it by mysel. I, too, pile things high and on my head. Yeah, I am THAT talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, does S know that you hate her almond puffs? You are freaking out-of-your mind! Those things are incredibly delicious and I'm pretty sure those are what made me get fat during my pregnancy...those and Kaylynn's delicious Amish Friendship Bread. Or should I say, breads? she probably brought a hundred loafs to work. I think I ate about 50% of what she brought. :) I'll see you guys this summer. Luke and I are flying back and we'll be there the first part of July. Get ready for Story to rip apart the business office!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same problem with my wrists! They're super small and bony so I constantly have bracelets on just like you. I'm sure it's genetic!

    ReplyDelete