Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Don't get comfortable ...

So, what is it about my life lately that prevents me from getting comfortable and being happy for too long? Ever since I've graduated from BYU-Idaho, I've been in a sort of limbo. Here are my life transitions in a nutshell: Up until kindergarten, I moved a lot, but my parents were my life, so it didn't really matter. Once we moved into Cloverdale, I grew roots. I was the "new kid" since all of my friends had lived there all their lives. My parents tried to buy my grandparents' house in Ammon and move there after I was done with eighth grade, but I kept hiding our "For Sale" sign. As soon as they'd put it up, I'd take it down. I know it wasn't all because of my efforts, but we ended up staying put.

I thought high school was the best time of my life. I had awesome friends and went on fun trips with them for journalism competitions. My closest friends were the same ones I'd had since kindergarten. You just don't lose those kinds of connections. The day I got my high school diploma was the worst day of my life. I didn't want it to be over. I remember hoping that the second coming would just happen so I didn't have to figure out the next phase of my life. But it didn't, and I moved a whole 35 miles away to start college in Rexburg.
I lived in Colonial House for 2 years. My grandparents paid for it, so I was in kind of an up-scale living arrangement. Not the place for this white trash Idahoan hippie. I moved to Greenbrier and found my home. That ward became my family and I lived there for another five years. See a trend? I didn't want to graduate there, either. But I did. After graduation, I stayed in Greenbrier and worked at the Rexburg Standard Journal until I got kicked out of student housing a semester later. I took a job in Salt Lake and hated it. I LOVED living with my old roommate, Shmarah. I'd lived with her for two years at Greenbrier and it was GREAT to be back together again! It was also fun being so close to family and being able to bond more with cousins that I never get to spend enough time with! But the job was hard, the city was hard, the community was hard ... I couldn't adjust and I just couldn't hack it at a software company! I ended up coming back home to my parents' house in Idaho Falls and worked at three different jobs in five months before I got on at BYU-Idaho.
I was attending my parents' ward this summer and did NOT want to attend a singles' ward. I was such a loner in the family ward, but I'd met Shinae and really enjoyed having her there for awhile. When Shinae's family moved, I got brave and thought I'd check out the single's branch. I was SO skeptical. But Lisa John took me under her wing IMMEDIATELY and has become one of the closest friends I've EVER had! My other friends in the branch are just amazing and it didn't take long before we all became inseperable! I've just noticed that I see or hang out with these people nearly every day! They have all become such a HUGE part of my life and I've finally felt like I'm where I need to be.

My housing situation's in limbo. I live with my parents. That HAS to change soon, but I'm not really sure how to work that out. My job situation is in limbo. I love this job more than any I've ever had and wouldn't mind staying in this position FOREVER! Why then, is it only a temporary job? The "permanent" jobs I've had recently have been MISERABLE, and the one I LOVE is only temporary? And then there's the whole "Life" limbo. Will I ever get married and have a family? Where do I go from here? I'm not working toward a mission anymore, so what's next? Ugh!

So, the only thing that's really been established lately, is my branch situation and the amazing sociality I've found there. We have such an amazing support system and I've learned so much from these people! And our branch combines with the Foothills Branch for activities and Family Home Evening and we just have an amazing family with such fun personalities.

So, what happens?! Last Sunday, our Stake President came to our sacrament meeting to announce that the Ammon North Stake singles will now be meeting with the 20th branch. That includes me. I've been ripped from my home and my friends and my place of growth and substance and forced to attend a branch that fits ALL of my negative stereotypes of singles branches. (I know this appears to be the case because of my bad attitude, but my own perceptions are my truth.)

I'm not a crier. But--oh,boy. I didn't handle this news well. I'm so grateful that sweet Lisa was sitting next to me for this announcement and was sensitive enough to know that the "statue" sitting next to her was really a friend in need of some love. As soon as her arm went around my shoulders, I lost it. I'd feared this announcement for a couple of months now, but I'd been convinced that it wouldn't happen. Everyone tried to appease my fears by drawing out more practical scenarios. And seriously? This arrangement does NOT make sense! 80% of our worthy priesthood holders are in the North Stake. Who's left to bless and pass the sacrament? Not many! It just doesn't make sense! It's been a week, and I have yet to look my new branch president in the eye. He's sincerely making an effort to smooth the pain of this transition, but I'm stubborn and I won't let him. I am determined to hate this idea. I know. You can tell me how bad my attitude is and how the Lord knows best and I'll see His hand in it, if I just humble myself and have faith that it's all for the best. But that's all easier said than done. For now, my life's over. Now, here are some pictures of the people I love and the good times that I've had that will probably never happen again. NEVER. Because there's no recovery from something like this.

Kristin, Lisa, me and Lisa. Broom hockey babes!


me and Lisa

Broom hockey team 2! Kristin, me, Ryan, Jeanna, Jonathan, Carl & Nicole.

Willie and Lisa at hockey night. We all had to get our pictures taken with him.

Me and Lisa John at Teton Lakes golf course.

We threw off the x-country skis to roll a little in the snow!

Lisa, Lisa and Lisa trying crazy stuff at Weird Food Night.

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa, Kristin and me at a game night.
I think Lisa Jenkins (in the middle) did something funny (and probably inappropriate)to Kristin as this photo was taken!





Lisa, Lisa, me and Kristin. So sore after cross country skiing all morning!
But we like to hang out together again in the evening, too!

Lisa, Willie, Lisa, me and Megan at Weird Food Night

So, I'm not going to mention that many of these activities weren't sponsered by our branch and were just random social gatherings that will probably still happen just as often now that the branch has been separated. (because I think it'd be physically impossible to do them even MORE often than we already do!) I also don't have much to say about the fact that many of these friends have been split and are now going to the new branch WITH me. Many of them. But not ALL of them.

3 comments:

  1. Hey sweetie! I just want you to know a couple things. First of all, remember that talk you and I had when I was fighting our move so much? The Lord isn't interested in what makes us comfortable, he is interested in our personal growth and in what will bring us closer to Him. He just has other plans for you that you aren't aware of. You might meet your future husband there, or find a great job prospect by talking to someone. You never know and we can't see what is best for us when we close off to the idea. I know that you have a hard time with change, heck most of us do. It's so hard when you feel like you've grown roots where you're at and then all of a sudden you get a nice swift blow upside the head when you least expect it. ;) Hang in there and remember that its not the end of the world and you have so much support and love from everyone around you. More than you know. When you feel scared or discontent, just remember who to talk to first and foremost. I love you Brookie! Things will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to play sometime. I'd suggest you coming over and playing Wii with me, but I think you had a previous post about the uselessness of such things. (I totally disagree! Raving Rabbids and Guitar Hero are SO useful!) But, yeah ... we should play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Brooke you are so funny. I love how things happen to each of us and they are such a HUGE deal, I am the same way. Just think, maybe your husband is waiting for you in the new branch, you never know!

    ReplyDelete