
I've really been thinking and studying and weighing things out in my mind lately. I could probably go on for days about all the things that have been plaguing, frustrating, motivating and inspiring me. But I won't. Not about all of it, at least. But one thing that's really kept coming back to me is my continued love and PASSION for BYU-Idaho. I took so long to graduate because I couldn't really pick one field that I was totally passionate about. I finally got a degree in something that I don't particularly have a love or even a talent for. But, what I've been realizing with this job is that my passion lies in the university itself! I have such an intimate relationship with this school. This is where I blossomed. This is where I found myself. This is where I learned to live with roommates, to live without parents, to live for myself and not always for what others think of me. This is where I learned to express myself and where I learned to analyze and think and expound. This is where I learned to learn and to love learning. I love this university. I love everything it stands for. I love that I can come to a place of higher learning with a knowledge that my professors not only know the subject material, but they also have a testimony of the Gospel and a desire to bear testimony of the Savior through their teaching of secular material.
I just came from a meeting where President Clark announced some new expansion and changes that will be occurring at BYU-Idaho. As a staff member on this campus, I've been given a whole new view of the way this whole system works. I love seeing the workings of policies and implementation of programs all guided by inspiration from the Lord. Where else can such an institution be run with such a great purpose? I love how much emphasis is placed on students' individual experiences. The main goal of this University is to build disciple leaders. This not only requires a secular education, but it requires an atmosphere of love, and a cultivation of the Spirit. As I sat in this meeting, I looked around and could see so many people who have influenced my life. I sat directly behind President Kimball Galbraith who served as my bishop for four years before he was called into our Stake Presidency. President Galbraith extended the call to me to serve as the first counselor in our Relief Society presidency--an experience that changed my life. I've been able to spend time with him and his family and have such love for them. From where I sat, I could see the receding hairline of Brother Roger Merrill from whom I took a Sign Language and two acting courses. Roger was one of my all-time favorite professors who really got involved and personal in his passion as a teacher. Our classes were always close because he cultivated such an atmosphere of socialization. Roger's family owns the Playmill Theatre in West Yellowstone, and I've worked with the theatre in editing their programs. I make it a point to go to at least one show every summer and have grown closer to Roger and his family through that connection. I saw Steve Kugath who took us all canoeing and camping with his family, Ben Romney who chased 40 of us around Mexico for a month, Scott Wood who's so passionate about the outdoors, it makes you even want to be in an avalanche so you can utilize the survival skills he teaches! Each of these wonderful people is united in the cause of this university, which coincides with the cause of the Church as a whole--to expand, to include, to prepare and to serve. After the meeting, I turned to see Joelle Moen standing along the wall waiting for me. Joelle started out as my literature professor, but over the years became one of my very best friends. While Joelle was a professor, she was also a travel buddy (more than just a tour director!), she's been my landlord and roommate, my "hot date" every other Saturday night, my encouragement, my disciplinarian ... pretty much a hub in my whole educational experience. These people are amazing. Their purpose is amazing. This university has such great power to influence and educate, not only individuals, but the world as a whole.
I'm not sure what I want to be when I grow up. I'm not sure what individual field I'm passionate about, but I do know that I'm truly passionate about this purpose. This university is who I am. It's powerful, and I'm so grateful to be a part of something so worthy and good.

Amen sister.
ReplyDelete