Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Silvesters-in-Law

I'm never going to catch up on this blog thingy, but I can't let some important events slip away from me, so I'm going to at least attempt to do a few things justice.
Let's start with this family reunion business. It seems to be ALL I do anymore. August was double-booked. Two  reunions back-to-back at the same location--Palisades. (IS there any other place, really? When your uncle owns an RV park there, the answer is "no.")
For those non-Silvester blog readers out there, let me give you a little background on the Silvesers. They're ALL boys. Sure, there are a few girls scattered here and there, but the Silvester family is known for boys. It may have something to do with the fact that my dad is the 6th of 7 sons. And out of those 7 sons, 2 had ALL boys. Hold on. Let me do a head count. Out of my generation of Silvesters we have ... 8 girls and ... 11 boys. Is that ALL? Whatever. It seems like there a LOTS more boys than girls. Mostly because out of those 11 boys 8 of them spent many growing up years in Idaho. Guess how many of those girls grew up here? One. ME.
I remember standing in the kitchen with Grandma in my apron, HATING LIFE while the boys all got to play in the backyard. Why did I deserve such punishment? It was SUCH a relief when Courtney and Gentry would come visit because they actually enjoyed cooking and helping Grandma. I would retreat to the sandbox or the broken-down bus (but only if I could guess the password. Otherwise, they'd never let me on. I seem to remember one pass"word" being more of a gesture. I caught on to that one quickly and they had to let me on.) ;)
But guess what? This year, I discovered a great benefit to having all sorts of boy cousins! They eventually marry AWESOME girls! And just like that, I have friends. Who knew I'd have to wait this long? (Sorry, Silvester girls; but California and Oregon and 10-years-age difference just isn't close enough!) And kudos to my misfit boy cousins for scoring such awesome ladies. I'm glad we got to spend some extra time together this year. We've all got the same last name now (and that's WEIRD for me to think about) so we may as well be friends!
Cousins Jennifer and Amanda couldn't make it with their crews. (Jennifer hails from California and claims it's a long way to come. Amanda likes to plan other "more important" ventures for the same week.) We've heard we have a cousin named Amity, but nobody's really convinced she exists. Heather brought 2/4 of her crew for  about 20 hours and went home with 3/4 of hers. Courtney brought her munchkin (Ezra) whom most of us met for the first time. And Gentry brought her bike but no tire pump. Kylie couldn't come cuz she was too busy being a boy scout. But man, we had fun together. 'Cept Courtney wouldn't let me share my taco with Ez.
In addition to watching my dog retreat from the baby, we played some games, hiked some mountains, chased some rainbows and canoed down a river. I had to work the majority of the week, but that's the benefit of having the reunion so close--I could go back and forth.
Now, for some pictures.
 Gentry and I at the top of Fall Creek. 
We were supposed to ride our bikes there, 
but that plan failed on so many levels.
 Gentry and the double rainbow we were chasing

 Uncle Tom doesn't like being licked by dogs. ;)

 Targhee, Mark, Cody, Gentry, Kelan, Barbara, me and Tom 
on our hike to Lower Palisades.

 Cody and his chipmunk friend who tried to climb onto his back.

Courtney, Ezra, me, Cynthia, Baby Bobby and Pauline. 
The younger generation (and their babies) took on the old ladies in a game of "Word on the Street." 
I don't remember exactly, but it would make sense to say we won.

 Gavyn, Hunter, Scott and Heather starting out the river trip.

 Shae and Hunter

 Uncle Scott and Ezra--BFF's.

 Oh no he di'int! Never tell Uncle Scott he's too old.

Shae, Heather, me and Gavyn just before they left. 
They weren't there for nearly long enough! 

me and Cody's wife, Pauline. See? They pick good ones.  

 Scott, Robin and Cody & Pauline's boys, Colby and Harrison. That Harrison's pretty thug.


No comments:

Post a Comment